Thursday, June 15, 2006

SATIRE 101

Originally posted at mentalblog.com / Thread: Chasid Bobuv B'nusach Chabad

We begin with the following comment posted by “Faruq”:

…I know a rov in Flatbush, a real talmid chochom (exclusively in positive connotation), very accessible, yet deep personality, with a sense of humor etc. in short, a pleasure to be around. The guy knows next to nothing about Chabad. However, what little he does know comes from B. Shemtov. The rov was raised in England and his father, a prominent talmid Ch. himself, used to daven in Shemtov’s shul in England. The rov’s attitude towards Lubavitch is that of scorn and disdain. When provoked to share his feelings re: Chabad, he would say “he drank and yelled and screamed at my father’s face that whoever doesn’t know Tania is an am-hooretz.” and he would wave his hand in dismissal.

faruq 07.29.05 - 8:49 am #


Berl responded:

faruq,

I know this businessman from North Carolina, who is a very rich man (I mean this exclusively in a positive sense). He is generous to a fault. Despite his wealth, he is very accessible and has a great sense of humor. In short - a pleasure to be around! Now, this guy knows next to nothing about the Jews. What little he does know, comes from a man by the name of Ben Samuelson – an inn kipper from Charleston. You see, my acquaintance was raised in Atlanta, and his father, himself a prominent businessman, used to take the boy along on his frequent business trips to Charleston. The pair used to stay in Ben’s Inn.

I do not know all that had transpired during those stays, but even today the man’s attitude towards the Jews is that of scorn and disdain.

I once provoked him to explain his feelings, the otherwise calm and genteel businessman from North Carolina started foaming at his mouth and furiously exclaimed: “that Jew Ben drank himself silly and then yelled and screamed in my father’s face that only the Jews have enough brains to make money.” And then he calmed down and simply waved his hand in a gesture of dismissal.

berl, crown heights 07.29.05 - 9:39 am #


And, just for the record, this was the response:

berl, I admire you
faruq 07.29.05 - 9:46 am #

- - -

Note: A special thanks is extended to an unnamed individual who helped me locate this post. Honestly, in my opinion, for this post alone the Berl Yeimi was worthwhile.

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can I make a suggestion?

Try and explain to your readers, who may not be as sharp and concise as Berl, what he means to say. I have no idea here if he agrees with Faruq's opinion about Reb Bentze o"h. Not that it matters really, but still.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger MEKUSHOR said...

Avreml,

My purpose here is to bring quotes to the reading public that may have missed them the first time around. I realize that sometimes a comment out of context may be confusing (although, I think that the comments I use are fairly understandable, at least as far as the point being made is concerned). But, if you want more information on the topic, I advise use to use the links to the source of the comment and follow the thread there.

That’s not to say that I oppose comments discussing interpretation of the post – aderaba…

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell me then, O Mekushor, what do YOU think theis Faruq'te is saying?

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh the gemoro kops learning pshat in the words of berel.

now the picture associated with mikushor makes sense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View my Stats